I’ve thought about this long and hard y’all. We moved, and I love baseball, and I’m thrilled to finally have some major league baseball and some pro level teams to cheer for…sorry Oregon, but in that respect you are kind of pathetic. In truth, I love my Colorado Rockies, but now that I’m in another part of the country and we have decided to call this place ‘home’ indefinitely, I’m ready to invest and join the fan club of another team, and enjoy a sport that I used to hate, but now love.
When I was younger, my parents would literally drag me to Rockies games and Sky Sox games and I just wasn’t into it. More than that, I was absolutely cranky about it. I would pout and scream and spend the entire game with my arms crossed, grouchy that I had to waste my childhood in front of a baseball diamond. I loved playing in the backyard with my brother. I went through a pretty serious “It Takes Two” phase, where I dressed up like Mary Kate Olson and wore dresses with a baseball hat backwards and consumed more than the appropriate chewing amount of bubble tape. But watching it, I just didn’t like it. In college however, the Rockies went to the World Series. Bryant and I drove down to Denver to watch the games once a week with our friends. We were able to watch at least one of the home games in each series up until the World Series game that turned out to be impossible to get tickets for. But, we fell in love. We would eat peanuts and drink beer, and enjoy a nice bratwurst, and we would yell…a lot. “TOO LETGIT, TOO LETGIT TO QUIT-SKY!” oh Tulo…
So, here I am, an official “New Yorker” for all intents and purposes, deciding that I want to be a Yankee. I formulated a list of pros and cons, and I have to tell you, I can’t wait to wear my pinstripes.
Pro Yankee Fan:
1) The Sultan of the Swat, the Big Bambino, Babe Ruth, formally, a Yankee.
2) I look really nice in vertical pinstripe. It elongates my body, very flattering.
3) Among Babe Ruth, the team has had some of the most celebrated players in history, names that I learned from the “Sandlot” and “Field of Dreams” If you build it, they will come. (Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle etc.)
4) Apparently, at Home games, they play Frank Sinatras “New York, New York”…now thats what I call Team Spirit.
5) Almost every person we’ve met here in New York so far, when I have asked them if they are a Mets fan or a Yankee fan, they look at me like I’m stupid, and then say “Yankees.”
So there you have it, 5 really good reasons. My con’s list was short, it really just said “Because @ihubby said not to be” and what better way to keep our relationship interesting than to add something else to our list of disagreements. (I heart you friend).